Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Me in Monet's Garden



Another Elementary Art classic is underway with kindergarten. This was actually the first time I'd ever used pastels on wet paper, and the results were very subtle and muted, the kids loved it.  For the water, they blended horizontally and for the background, the colors were blended vertically.  There were many ripped and wet papers because we used  construction paper. Mental note for next year: use heavy watercolor paper.

Bridges were added on Class #2 (when the pieces were dry) with oil pastels as were the waterlilies.  I made tracers for the top and bottom lines and let them fill in the middle.  The flower is just a tiny ball of tissue paper sitting on top of a green construction paper lilypad.

I found a nice video that juxtaposes Monet's paintings with still video of his garden.  I showed it to the kids after I'd done a PowerPoint with different examples of Monet's waterlilies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2T-Nyocx8&feature=related

And of course, I couldn't resist adding this to the PowerPoint-- they are kindergarteners after all and love Little Einsteins.  I wish I could get my hands on this episode!



No comments:

Post a Comment