Thursday, September 6, 2012

Patterned Hands

I really liked the colorful cut out hands and display idea over at Freckle Photo but I needed to simplify it for my little ones.  The kids traced their hands first (they gave it two tries and if they still needed help, I helped them.)  I made a poster with different lines and patterns for ideas and let them go for it.  With Grade 1 and 2, I gave them both skinny sharpies and thick permanent markers and showed the importance of using thick and thin lines.  Liquid watercolor was the final step.

This was also a great open ended pre-assessment to kick off the school year.





5 comments:

  1. Very colorful and so effective! Love the nails!!! Elizabeth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Did a similar quick project with my 1st and 2nd grades for our first class! 1st added lines with color, I was able to see how their fine motor skills were by how they traced their hands and cut out the arm/hands. 2nd added a variety of lines in oil pastel and we reviewed painting routines when they painted them with watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this lesson. I have 'cultural art' on the go at present. This would be a very effective "henna' lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this activity. The mural is fantastic.. It will actually lend itself well with a unit on belonging that my year 2 students are doing in class. I hope you don't mind if I use it... Thanks.Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks anna! of course you can use it, that's why I blog (and relentlessly borrow from other blogs!) let me know how they turn out. :)

      Delete