5 Minute Art Ideas

Being an art teacher means having a frenetic schedule.  Kindergarten one minute and 5th Grade the next, sometimes with no time in between to wipe down a tabletop or take a sip of the not-hot-anymore coffee on my desk.

Some days I find myself dismantling the mini centers I set up for my little ones as my Grade 4's are walking in the door- not ideal! There are two ways to approach this dilemma-- the Slow Start or the Early Finish.  

The Slow Start 🐢

The Slow Start is especially helpful if you have kids who are constantly late and you have to hold up the whole lesson for them so you don't have to repeat yourself.  Fun fact-- if you have a kid who yells, "WHAT ARE WE DOING" after rocking up late (why do they do this?!), I always respond with humor.  "If you were late to a movie, would you stand in front of theater and yell, 'WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?' or would you sit down and quietly ask someone?  It usually gets a laugh...and sends the message.

When I had the chronic lateness issue #teachinginthemiddleeast, I always had a "bell ringer" activity ready for the kids to complete as soon as they arrived.  To entice the stragglers to show up on time, I tried to make this a zero prep art activity creative and fun! Here are a few Finish the Drawing activities plus a few fun Idea Generation worksheets that can be used in a Slow Start situation.

The Early Finish 🐇

As the title implies, sometimes I will end the class 3-5 minutes early and keep my artists entertained (and hopefully inspired!) by an art video for kids while I quickly set up for the next class.  I am ashamed to admit that this usually used to mean me feverishly searching for a YouTube video while the kids yelled "That one!" or "Not that one!".  Not ideal.

I created these padlets for quick access to high quality kids art videos. Each video is art related (obviously!) and anywhere from 1.5-5 minutes long-- this padlet has come in SO handy when I need to keep the kiddos occupado for a few minutes while I am quickly setting up for the next class or waiting for a teacher pick up.  If you bookmark either of these resources you will not regret it!

Art Songs and Videos for Preschool-Grade 5

art songs for kids, art videos for kids



Comments

Popular Posts