Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Table Cartoons

When the children are working on a project that requires a great deal of quiet and concentration, I use this trick:

Each table has a color that corresponds with a small circle on the board.  If everyone at the table is focused and working quietly, I start with eyes for that table's cartoon.

As the class progresses, the drawings become more and more detailed (and silly)-- as long as the table is quietly focused on their work.  One of today's Grade 1 cartoons are below (they were coloring their Magic Carpets for 40 minutes straight-- a great accomplishment for 6 year olds)...

This a lot more fun than adding or subtracting points.  The kids still talk about some of the cartoons their table had months ago!



6 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm always on the lookout for easy & direct 'positive' reinforcements instead of just negative consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever! I bet the kids really enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys, the sillier the better. the flying pig in a tutu on roller skates with pigtails, an "I love mom" tattoo and a mustache is a current crowd favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great idea. I will definitely be trying this out because boy do I have some chatty classes! This is a very positive way to encourage and give feedback.

    ReplyDelete