One Year Blogoversary and some Monkey Business

First, the blogoversary-- I started blogging one year ago today when my students in Cambodia began work on a Chihuly inspired chandelier.

Thanks to Mr E for showing me that it could be done!  Thanks to Phyl at There's a Dragon in My Art Room, Art Project Girl, MaryMaking and Pat over Sharpie Woman for being among the first to actually read and respond to my posts. This blogging business is a lot more fun when you know someone's out there reading your stuff.

And second, the Monkey Business.  It's "spring" (if you can call 100 F spring) and I let my behavior modification plan go to seed. Bad Idea Jeans.  I fortuitously stumbled onto the Teaching Palette and found a fabulous post and video by an art teacher who uses Whole Brain Teaching strategies.


Using some of the strategies she uses have really changed the atmosphere in my classroom.  Managing the class in a silly and fun way=fantastic. :)  I highly recommend check out the whole brain teaching site.  I amended Katie Jarvis' system somewhat by using a Happy Monkey and a Depressed Dog.  If the kids are following the rules, I give the monkey a banana-- if they're not, the dog is sooooooo sad so I need to give her a bone to cheer her up.

If the monkey gets more bananas than the dog has bones, the kids from that class "wins" and get a happy monkey smiley face on the chart.  There's no incentive past that and nobody's asked for it, ha ha!!  They are excited enough to count their smiley monkey faces and compare the number to other classes.

Comments

  1. It looks great! So colorful & fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your blogoversary! I always enjoy seeing what projects you're doing and hearing about your interesting life abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...that chandelier looks GREAT! Congrats on your blog anniversary too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogoversary, Princess Artypants! I look forward to your posts and your amazing adventures!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts