Claim Support Question in the Art Room

As a provocation into a unit about expressing identity through portraiture with my Grade 5's, we tried a new (to me!) Thinking Routine, Claim Support Question. 


I consider this routine one cognitive step beyond See Think Wonder because it forces learners to give rationalization to their claims about a piece of art.

I started with a Chuck Close portrait and did a few examples with the kids, but the depth of thinking wasn't what I had hoped.  Claims along the lines of "he looks old" with support of...wait for it..."because he looks old."  I wondered if this routine was better suited to middle or high school.
Take One with Claim Support Question-- Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook Neutral"

When the next group came in, I changed my strategy.  First I created a visual to get my point across...


Second, I simplified the language:
Take Two: Magic 8 Ball says, "Outlook Good"



The responses in the second group were much more specific and supported by what the children could observe, which of course was the point.  I can't help but wonder if the language I used diluted the thinking too much or made it too similar to See Think Wonder.  I also wonder if I could differentiate a bit and give the simplified version to the kids who need it.

Here is part of my hallway of portraits, students wrote their "Claim Support Questions" on sticky notes.  I like to post things like this so the students can see that process has value, the hallway is not just for finished products.  It also opens up the conversation about Thinking Routines to teachers or parents who may not have experience with them.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts