Using the Studio Habits of Mind

Last year was the first year that I really worked on familiarizing my students with the Studio Habits of Mind, another winner from the Project Zero people at Harvard. This framework dovetails nicely with the Teaching For Artistic Behavior model in that it respects learners as artists-- artists who make choices, experiment with media, collaborate with others.

I used the SHOM mostly for reflection last year, one Haiku Deck that I created and used as a visual can be found here.  The children chose one or two sentence stems from each category and filled in their reflections at the end of their projects.

This year, since I am giving TAB methodology a try across all grade levels for the 1st Unit, I wanted to create visuals that gave students concrete examples of what kind of cognitive and creative work they are meant to be doing in class.  I also would like to see the children use the framework as a springboard for our SeeSaw reflections, which will occur during the last 5 minutes of each class and be more authentic than waiting until they complete a project.  I also like the idea that the reflection is not limited to their artwork, they are genuinely reflecting on their own artistic habits on a regular basis.  This consistent and more relaxed (kids can record themselves using iPads instead of having to write) formative assessment should help to develop these transferable skills.






















Comments

  1. Hi Kristin, great SHOM posters! I have a related question for you. Do you display the PYP Visual Arts Conceptual Understandings and/or Learning Outcomes with their associated phases on posters? I haven't done this, but had a student ask to know more about them. This seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure how to make them accessible and student-friendly. What do you think? Lindy (International School Suva, Fiji)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't but I think I should! What I am worried about right now is I have soon much stuff on my walls that it is starting to just become wallpaper. If I can find a model of something clear and succint that I can actually refer to when I am teaching I am totally on board.

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      I have used your SHOM cards, that I absolutely love, thank you for sharing them; to create a visual for students to look at while they write in their art journals. They figure out where they are in the creative process and choose a learning goal to go with it. I would love to share it with you, if you like.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kristin, great SHOM posters! I have a related question for you. Do you display the PYP Visual Arts Conceptual Understandings and/or Learning Outcomes with their associated phases on posters? I haven't done this, but had a student ask to know more about them. This seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure how to make them accessible and student-friendly. What do you think? Lindy (International School Suva, Fiji)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To blow the mind of people, you have to be able to come out with something they have never seen nor hard of.

    That requires allot of hard work and inspiration.

    http://games-gameworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts