Art Critique: Tell Ask Give

I've found over the years that students are much more likely to accept and incorporate feedback from their peers than they are from me.  Having a whole class in the "art feedback zone" also gives the kids an opportunity to inspire each other which is always a great thing! One popular way that I do formative peer assessments is through Tell Ask Give-- both the poster below and tags can be found here.  

Early in the art-making process, students break into pairs and look at each other's work in progress and follow this format for a quick art critique:


Sometimes the feedback is oral, other times I print out tags for them to write out:

art critique tags

I always have them give and receive feedback from/to at least 3 people because the goal is for the kids to actually use the feedback that was given to improve their work.  I tell my students that after getting feedback from 3 different people, if they still don't have any feedback that they feel like they can use to improve, they can come and ask me to give some suggestions.  Most of the kids listen to each other way more than they listen to me! :)

The above TAG poster and tags can be found here.

Comments

Popular Posts