Assessment and TAB

“I want to explore choice-based art, but what about assessment?” I got you!! Here are 5 ways that I assess along with some resources that might help you save some time along the way!

Open ended rubrics/success criteria: Developing open-ended rubrics that emphasize creativity, effort, and risk-taking (Studio Habits!) rather than rigid criteria. The rubrics can focus on the artistic process, problem-solving skills, and growth rather than a final product. 

Assess “skill builders” rather than a final project: If you are bound to particular media or skill development because of your curriculum, assess those skills using skill builders rather than creating a teacher-directed project out of it. One example of Skill Builders that I do in my art room is painting techniques (see photo below).  You can find them here.


Artist Statements: I cannot understate how important artist statements are for a choice-based art room. These statements explain the concepts, emotions, and techniques behind their work and really capture the essence of why we provide choice to kids. You can find some examples of the artist statements I use with children here.

Peer critique: Facilitate peer critiques where students discuss and offer feedback on each other's artwork. It doesn't have to be a long drawn-out process-- we like to do peer critiques in the first 5 min of class so they can use the feedback in ongoing work. Not only does this foster a supportive and collaborative learning environment, I find that kids listen to each other's feedback WAY more than if it comes from me! I have a toolkit of peer critique ideas that can be found here.

Comments

Popular Posts